The School of Biotechnology is a large academic unit of the International University which currently attracts more than 600 students. We offer quality education and practical experience over a broad spectrum of life sciences, including Biotechnology, Food Technology and Aquatic Resource Management at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our dedicated staff, modern laboratories, splendid facilities for learning and highly relevant curricula altogether create an inspiring environment that fosters innovation and success of students. In order to become a center for excellence within the region, it promotes innovative approaches for sustainable production and management of partnerships with relevant industries in Vietnam, as well as with our prestigious education partners in the US, UK, Australia and elsewhere.
1. Graduate: MSc in Biotechnology by research (50 credits, 2-year program, students can specialize in Molecular Biotech, Agriculture Biotech or Biomedical Biotech).
- Aquatic Resource Management (Aquaculture Technology, Management of Aquatic Resources and Environment)
- Biotechnology (Biomedical Science, Molecular Biotechnology, Industrial Biotechnology, Marine Biotechnology and Environment)
- Food Technology (management or technology oriented)
- Students can either complete the whole 4-year program at IU or transfer to IU’s partner universities overseas from Year 3. Currently, the School of Biotechnology is operating twinning programs with the University of Nottingham (UK or Malaysian campus) and University of West of England (UK) and will expand this model with universities in the US and Australia.
Graduates are well prepared for a wide range of careers including production, quality control, management, research or teaching in both domestic and international markets. Employment rate has been high so far with a large proportion of graduates pursuing advanced studies overseas.
- Biotechnology: new diagnostic methods for tropical diseases, drug design, genetic engineering in plant breeding, innovative technologies for microbial production, utilization of agricultural and fisheries wastes, pharmaceuticals from marine species, anti-biofouling and bioremediation
- Food Technology: quality control and improvement, traceability, advanced processing technologies for agricultural and food products
- Aquatic Resource Management: effects of climate change on aquatic ecosystems and bio-resources, enhancement and restoration of valuable natural stocks, aquatic environment monitoring and management, advanced aquaculture technologies with focus on feed production and system design
OUR STAFF AND FACILITIES
- Faculty members and staff of the school are experienced in teaching and doing research, and have been trained at well-known universities in USA (Cornell University, University of Michigan, University of Utah), UK (Nottingham University, University of West of England, Open University), Australia (University of New South Wales, Griffith University), Japan (Hiroshima University, Osaka Prefecture University) and the equivalents in Europe, India, Singapore and Korea. Teaching and research performance of our faculty members and staff have been recognized by a number of international and national awards.
- The laboratory system includes six modern labs: Fundamental Biotech, Molecular Biomedicine, Applied Biochemistry, Food Technology, Applied Hydrobiology and Computational Biology that can meet the requirements for quality training and basic research. Through strong collaborations with national and international partners, we implement advanced research and continue to expand our research facilities.